Salo is the commercial centre of the area, with its beautiful promenade along the lake and a wide selection of shops and boutiques, with many bars overlooking the promenade. The splendid Cathedral of the second half of the 15th century which includes works by Romanino and Moretto, known painters of the sixteenth century in Brescia.
The Palace of Magnifica Patria and the Podestà Palace, located in front of the pier, witness its ancient history and a rich and peaceful period of domination by Venetian rule to which all the Riviera belonged that lasted for about 400 years until the arrival of Napoleon.
It was an important centre of the Ministries of the Italian Social Republic, the Republic of Salò misnamed, from October 1943 to April 1945.
To the south of Lake Garda, Sirmione is defined as the Pearl of the lake, known for its thermal spas with its healing waters, the castle, the Grotte di Catullo and its lively centre.
Le Grotte di Catullo, built around the Ist BC, are the ruins of a large Roman villa that overlooked the lake, so called because the famous Latin poet called himself Lord of Sirmione. They show how Sirmione was inhabited since ancient times and as the climate and the location would attract wealthy Romans who built sumptuous villas.
Nearby do not miss a visit to the Valley of Paper Mills in Toscolano, a few chilometres from us, ancient paper-making centre active from the fourteenth century until the beginning of the last century. Thanks to the patient work of restoration a Centre of Excellence that illustrates its history has been opened. We suggest a visit also to the ruins of the Roman Villa recently opened to the public, to the beautiful paintings by Andrea Celestial preserved in the parish church of Toscolano and to the jewel of the Romanesque church of Maderno built on a pagan temple.
Isle of Garda
The largest island on Garda Lake which over the centuries has been called the Island of the Friars, Lechi, Ferrari, Borghesi is now private and accessible only by boat. In recent years the Cavazza family, the current owners, opened to visitors by appointment.
Inhabited since Roman times, then abandoned and donated to the friars who made it a monastery. After various vicissitudes in the late 19th century was built the present neo-gothic Venetian style villa with large terrace and Italian gardens and was designed and created the wonderful park with an infinitive variety of exotic trees. The small bay, where numerous boats are moored in the summer, is very pretty. A magnificent scenery can be enjoyed as the warm sun and the cool water.
Punta San Vigilio
One of the most enchanting and suggestive corner of the whole lake: near the eastern shore of Lake Garda, a park surrounding the Baia delle Sirene, a small marina, a historic inn, a house, a church and the Bay. Privately owned for centuries has been the destination of distinguished visitors, from Churchill to Prince Charles and never ceases to enchant visitors. Do not miss it!